How often do you read a newspaper?

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Start of a New Project for Media Studies

Welcome to my Media Coursework Blog.

Last year I chose to produce 'Wuthering Heights and Werewolves', a two minute opening to a horror/period drama film. The project was recorded on paper and everything was printed out numerous times wasting paper and effort. Therefore blogging greatly helps my work improve and move forward as this blog can be accessed from numerous devices (phones, iPods, computers) and I am able to keep track of where my work needs improvement.

I will be posting regularly with updates about the work I will be completing throughout the academic year. The first objective was to choose a brief out of the many supplied. Since I aspire to be a journalist I decided to choose a brief that would tailor to my needs. Reading through all of the briefs lead to a hard choice, as there were a few that could fit into my journalistic outlook. After thinking about each choice, and discussing them with my teacher I decided to chose brief 8, which is shown below in full:

  • The first two pages of a new local newspaper, together with two of the following three options:                   
  • A poster for the newspaper;
  • A radio advertisement for the newspaper;
  • Two hyperlinked pages from the paper’s website.

Bentley (1997) discusses 'the making of the new and rearranging of the old'; this will constantly be applied to my media production while making the first three pages of a local newspaper because although local newspapers exist they need to be 'rearranged' to attract new younger readers. 

I have chosen to create a poster for the newspaper because this unleashes my creative side, something I feel I am competent at, but also allows me to understand the common conventions of posters. I am a photography student so I am very confident and competent to use the new CS5.5 programs and design a poster to industry standard. 
I have also chosen to design a website where I will able to post videos and articles daily. This is a time consuming task, but I feel I am very ready for a challenge and once finished I feel the website will look professional.

Overall I feel this year is going to allow me to improve my skills further and make sure I am ready for university and in later life working as a journalist. 

1 comment:

  1. A good introduction to your media coursework with theorists being mentioned from the start.

    ReplyDelete