How often do you read a newspaper?

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Building the Poster- Looking into Common Conventions

Creativity, according to Bentley, involves 'the making of the new and rearranging of the old.' In other words, in order to create a product that is fit for purpose you have to carefully research the conventions of existing media texts that are from a similar genre and pitched at a similar target audience to the products you intend to produce.

Below are two newspaper posters that I will analyse so when I produce my own I have some grounding in what makes a good poster, and what makes a great one.



The Guardian uses an interesting way of catching the public eye by keeping the poster very simple, but also using a lot of colour. It makes a bold statement about its product; that it is trustworthy for not confusing facts with opinions, therefore not breaking moral codes and stereotyping. It also advertises its website by adding the '.co.uk' under the masthead. This poster would be placed on billboards and in shops, somewhere I was planning on placing mine, therefore maximising viewing by potential buyers. The colours used for the words fact and opinion vary; the blues and greens represent the Guardian as these are the papers colours, and the reds and oranges could represent danger of being led astray by opinionated news, since red connotes this. The choice of layout is important because fact is bent upwards, towards the top of the paper, and is therefore higher than opinion. The white background allows the readers to focus of the text, and makes sure the strong message is not lost in a pictured background.
Overall this poster is very effective in the message it gets across and I would be happy to take ideas for my local newspaper poster from this style model.

The 'i' also uses an unique way of catching the public eye by keeping the poster very simple, but using typography to make the letter i. I would like to follow suit and produce something along the same lines because I feel it advertises my newspaper at my target audience by having a unique and quirky poster. The letter C would be a good idea, or even having an image of a cloud which is filled with words from my stories and what comments I have received about my product. Again this poster uses a plain white background, therefore my own work will follow the common conventions. The language used on the i's poster would be targeted at young people and lexis such as 'cheap price' proves this point. If the target audience was a higher age bracket the lexis would most likely be 'inexpensive' or 'affordable'. Therefore the poster is hitting its target audience and mine must do the same.
Overall this poster is very effective in the message it gets across and I would be happy to take ideas for my local newspaper poster from this style model.


1 comment:

  1. Some good research into the common conventions of newspaper advertising demonstrating your research into similar products.

    ReplyDelete