How often do you read a newspaper?

Friday 4 November 2011

Survey Monkey - Interests, Tweets, and Publishing Dates

The second Survey Monkey was more focused on local newspapers, disregarding national and asking about technology and publishing. I was interested to see what local young people thought about technology  and the newspaper, using social networking sites such as Twitter, and creating a website for the newspaper which can be available for use on the iPad, iPod, and iPhone.






Of course the most important question is the persons age, determining the target audience. Again, because I posted this on Facebook, a social networking site the target audience was young people, since only my friends could view the post.
The gender remained balanced again, not allowing for a biased opinion, which will allow me to create a product that is well suited for males and females. Unlike last time there was not as many people answering this survey which I need to take into account. 
The social grade remained along the same lines as last time, which again I was expecting. Nearly all the answers above rarely changed from the previous survey. 


This question addressed what audiences like to read in local newspapers and the most common answers were the sport section, local news (which of course would be covered) and art awards etc. This gives me some idea about what to report on, and what stories I should pursuit. 



This question addressed what audiences dislike to read in local newspapers and the most common answers were the sport section, advertising, and stereotypical views. This gives me some idea about what not to report on, and what stories I should not pursuit. 




This question is very important in research because I will be able to create a base of ideas before adding my own. Gaining ideas from the target audience allows an insight into what the reader wants to see covered and gives me an insight into what other newspapers might be missing. It is clear to see I will have to gain stories on local events, stories on youth and generally a variety of information to hold the readers interest.  


Technology is evolving every day so I feel it should be part of my newspaper in the form of tweets and the website which will be constantly updated. However, though I might feel this is a good idea, the reader might not so it was imperative that I ask before I spend hours creating something that will not have a massive impact. I was pleased to find out that technology would be appreciated and that a website would be useful. 


This was the last question and allows me to think about how often I would publish the newspaper. Once a week was the strongest answer so this will be my final choice. 

Overall I feel a lot more confident about creating a newspaper because I have strong ideas about what the target audience wants out of my product. 

1 comment:

  1. Not as much discussion for this survey which is a shame as the results are just as important and should be discussed in terms of your product. Nevertheless it is still good quality research into a potential target audience and their feelings towards this industry.

    ReplyDelete