How often do you read a newspaper?

Sunday 1 January 2012

Building the Masthead

I wanted to create something unique, something that will attract young people to buy my product and I felt that the mastheads I have looked at still are too formal for my product. Therefore I used stamps and scanned them into Photoshop. I also chose to add an outline of a cloud for the text to sit in since this helps meet my target audiences needs. Below are my screen shots of building the masthead.

The first item on my to do list was to draw a simple, cartoon like cloud, which meets my target audiences needs. I felt happy with the result because the shape is simple but with the masthead inside, also eye catching. This is breaking common conventions of mastheads, and creating something new, such as what Bentley said. The colour purple will be desaturated in photoshop to create a silver cloud.

After scanning in the drawn image I placed it in a new photoshop document and rotated it around to landscape, which means I could edit the masthead easier.


I chose to make the photoshop document size A4 as I could get an overview of the size my masthead would be when printed out. This allowed me to edit it confidently without making the mistake of making it too small, and therefore it becoming blurred, or too big where it could become pixelated.

I enlarged the cloud to fill the top half of the document by holding down the shift key, making sure that the image kept the same ratio and did not become stretched etc.This is important in editing because when I add my text I did not want it to look out of line.

I then added my stamps to the document and had to edit some of the backgrounds since they were white. This was perhaps unnoticeable by printscreening the photoshop document but when placed next to each other, the backgrounds overlapped and some of the letters where missing.

I chose to place the letters really close to one another to not show any white space, but also to make them as big as possible. I personally think that by having the cloud around the text this meets my target audiences needs by creating something young, modern and innovite


The last thing I did before my final piece was to desaturate the whole document and made sure all the letters where placed properly. I then merged all layers and my masthead was completed.


1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent post and demonstrates your creative ideas coming together. This demonstrates your ability to appropriately integrate of illustration and text and your appropriate use of ICT for the task set.

    ReplyDelete